Who am I?
- Name: Colin A. Bartlett
- Nationality: U.S. Citizen, World Traveler
- Residence: Manhattan, New York City
- Phone: +1 (917) 821 9783
- Email: colin at colinabartlett dot com
I'm an Engineering and Product Director and Senior Ruby Developer with 17 years experience building web applications and managing software development projects and teams. I have experience with the entire web and mobile development stack but enjoy backend Ruby development the most.
An entrepreneur since age 10, I enjoy helping to build sustainable, profitable businesses. I excel at providing business value to stakeholders beyond just writing code.
My Professional Background
2015 November - Present
At Assembled Brands, I lead a software development team working on numerous projects including a large eCommerce website and a significant data science operation. I oversee our cloud infrastructure and all IT operations for our global offices and retail stores. I interface with executive and leadership teams to ensure efficient execution of capital technology projects and day-to-day software maintenance and set long term technology vision and strategy.
2013 August - Present
Colin Bartlett, Inc.
Principal & Consultant
2012 October - 2014 July
2013 - 2014 VP of Engineering
2012 - 2013 Director of Engineering
2012 - Senior Developer
VP of Engineering
I joined NewHound in October 2012 as a Senior Developer. Within a month, I moved up to manage the engineering team as Director of Engineering. When the firm reorganized into a new company with new leadership in October 2013, I became VP of Engineering. In this role, I not only contributed daily to the codebase, but managed team direction and goals, mentored junior developers, interacted with management and stakeholders, and generally kept the ship afloat.
2011 January - 2012 July
I joined Loosecubes full-time to lead their development team in September 2011. I was involved with nearly all aspects of their Rails application since the beginning. For a time, I was their sole developer and, for a time, I worked along side an outsourced team. I helped to hire and train numerous engineers and shape development strategy for this early-stage start-up.
2010 June - 2011 September
Partner & Senior Consultant
In 2010, I sold my consulting practice, Kinetic Web, and began consulting with friends at Xforty. I worked on several Rails applications and dabbled in PHP, ASP.Net and other projects. In January 2011, I obtained a NYC-based start-up, Loosecubes, as a customer and moved to New York to contract with them full-time for 9 months.
2001 January - 2010 June
Kinetic Web Solutions
Founder & Co-Owner
In 2001, I dropped out of Northeastern University to found a web wevelopment firm. Myself and my business partner grew it to 10 full-time employees. In 2006, I converted our focus from Microsoft ASP to Ruby on Rails and transitioned us to a Rails consultancy. I was responsible for all day-to-day operations, sales, marketing, project management. I was lead developer and oversaw all development, engineering, and systems administration of more than 30 Linux and Windows servers.
2000 September - 2000 December
Business & Information Technology Major
I attended Northeastern University for a brief time in 2000, although the contraints of the academic enviroment did not match well with my entrepreneurial spirit. I skipped most classes in favor of building my consulting practice and eventually dropped out to focus on my company full-time.
Since then, I have grown tremendously both professionally and personally with the help of mentors and business partners at all of my ventures. Although my formal education has been minimal, I bring a massive amount of technical, business, and management experience to every endeavor on which I embark. My depth and breadth of experience is evident in all of the work that I do today.
- StatusGator Creator & Founder Conceived and created entire SaaS monitoring service. Trusted by thousands of companies.
- Vim Tricks Creator & Founder Blog-style list of tips and tricks for the Vim text editor.
- Sushi Stickers Creator I published an iPhone app of sushi stickers called Sushi Smiles for iMessage.
- Fall Stickers Creator After the success of Sushi Stickers, I published Fall Favorites, fall-themed stickers for iPhone.
- Hot Fresh Pizza Creator My love for pizza is endless and I channel that love through pizza-themed t-shirts and apparel.
- Brushback, Inc. Co-Founder & CTO Created fan-sponsored iOS and Android sports apps. Fram idea to 1,000 users in 14 days.
- LA Blue for Android Creator Built as part of Brushback, this is one of the most popular LA Dodgers apps for Android.
- Clear Check Creator & Co-Founder Built complete document management platform. Launched and cash-flow positive in 14 days.